Subscribe | Sign In
How do I define my Personal Brand?
Before embarking on a Personal Brand website build, ask yourself these questions and focus your value proposition, your audience and your message. Answer these as best you can to discover your Passions, your Superpower, your Values, your Purpose and your important Differentiation:
Your passions energize you and underpin authenticity. Passion brings others to you, as they experience the energy you exude. Be clear on what moves you and link your passions with what you do and how you do it.
1. What topic(s) can you talk about endlessly and enthusiastically?
2. What topics can you effortlessly study on and read about to increase your knowledge?
3. What part of your job do you love the most?
4. What would you gladly do day in and day out?
What do you do better than everyone else. These are often things that take you little effort or thought, so can often be overlooked as ‘the easy stuff’ – but they are core to who you are. Don’t worry at this stage if it’s not something you think you’d like to spend the rest of your days doing. We’re still in the research stage here:
5. What do you do better than anyone else?
6. What do you find it easy to do?
7. If you were to receive an award, what would it be for?
8. What could you encourage in others? (what do others gladly do for you and with you?)
Your values are your operating principles. They impact how you feel and behave. Considering what are your values will help dentify how you want to spend your time. When your working with your values and operating principles, you have an added momentum, ease and confidence.
9. What are your top three annoyances?
10. What situation makes you feel angriest or most annoyed?
11. What situation makes you feel happiest and most at ease, as though anything is possible?
Like values, identifying your Purpose can help guide you toward a path that already has its own momentum. Identifying your ‘purpose’ can guide you toward what to pursue and what to avoid. Your purpose is connected to how you want to contribute to the world beyond your career. It describes your role in turning your vision for into reality. The following questions will help you define your purpose:
12. What’s your biggest hope or dream?
13. If you had a cash windfall and didn’t need to work, how would you spend your time?
As Oscar Wilde famously said: ‘Be yourself, everybody else is taken.’ Personal branding is about being you. Ask yourself these questions to determine what makes you unique – what makes you a unique brand, not a commodity.
14. What change have you made to the world?
15. What skills and talents sets you apart from your peers?
ASKING YOURSELF these questions will help you define your values. Understanding your values helps you craft your message. Articulating your message helps you reach your audience.