A Meta description is the short descriptive text beneath the title of your site or page, that is shown in googles search engine results page (SERPs). It gives a more compelling reason for someone to click through to your site
How to add a meta description:
Manually add your meta description. This is easy if you have Yoast SEO Plugin installed:
- go to ‘edit page’
- scroll down, beneath the page or post content to ‘yoast SEO’
- Add in the keyword you want to rank for – this should be used in the title and url
- add in the SEO ‘slug’ – the url. Write this in with words separated by a dash ‘-‘ and no spaces
- Add the 150-160 character meta description. use keywords here
How to write a great meta description
- Use your primary keyword in the meta description – the most likely high volume, low competition keyword relevant to this page.
- Don’t keyword ‘stuff’. A meta description is between 150-160 characters. Make it an engaging invitation to your site page or post, not just a keyword list.
Google doesn’t reward the most keywords used, it rewards content that is relevant to the user and guides them through from SERPs to the site, where their problems
- Make the meta description unique and relevant to each page and post – it’s not a one-size fits all. Show google and your visitors the full breadth of your offers with specific meta descriptions for each page
- Make it engaging. Draw people in with the transformation they’re going to get after visiting you.
- Use ‘power words’ to connect emotionally: words like ‘effortless’, ‘genuine’, ‘blissful’, ‘joyful’, ‘lifetime’, ‘risk-free’, ‘flawless’, ‘secret’, ‘freebie’, ‘fast’. These small words help people see the solution they’re looking for
There are no guarantees that Google will actually use your meta description. This isn’t a reason to not write them.
Make your site the best possible result for users and google rewards follow. The best way to do this is to know what your audience is searching for and where that intersects with what you’re offering.
There are many factors for ranking for google:
- site speed
- mobile first
- good user experience – ease of navigation
- good useful content
- valuable backlinks
Keywords should be an important part of your overall strategy. Adding keywords into your meta description an important part of using keywords effectively.
When someone puts those keywords into a search and you can demonstrate in the meta description that shows in the search result that your site and offer is relevant, Google reads this as good value and customer satisfaction. That’s what Google is all about – satisfying search intent. Make your site as relevant and click worthy as you can, for that search intent.
NEED HELP WITH YOUR WEBSITE AND MARKETING? SEO AND LEAD GENERATION?